Suspended ceiling is the ceiling hanged above the floor on roof which consist of panels or tiles. It is often used to electrical services and conceal mechanical within the ceiling void which allows to integrate light easily. Acoustic absorbing properties of suspended ceiling reduces the reverberation time and improve the comfort of those using the room. Entire integrity of suspended ceiling depends on the hangers commonly wires which used to support main beams suspension system. The measurement of suspended ceiling should be accurate. Ceiling measurement calculator can make this technical work easier.
Tips for Measuring Square Footage Are:
- To get precise measurement of ceiling, avoid measuring along the wall by finding the exact center of the room.
- Measure the room’s length and width through the middle to get those measurements.
- For accuracy, measurements should be taken in inches.
- For the measurement of square footage, multiply the length by the width and divided by the number of inches in a square foot.
Measure the Square Footage of a Suspended Ceiling:
- Calculate the area of each section of the room and measure ceiling in square feet.
- Multiply length by width for square areas. Add together square footage of each section to calculate the square footage for the entire ceiling.
- Multiply the sides of the ceiling tile together to determine the area. The tiles measure 2 feet by 2 feet
- Divide the area of the ceiling by the area of one ceiling tile to determine how many tiles are need to cover the ceiling. Cut the extra tile.
- Calculate the perimeter of the ceiling by adding the four sides together. This measurement is used to determine the amount of angled bracket you need for the perimeter of the ceiling.
- Divide the width of the ceiling in two to determine how many runners you need for the ceiling grid. You divide the width of the ceiling by two because the tiles are 2 feet wide.
- Calculate the number of rows of cross tees you need for the ceiling by dividing the length of the ceiling by 2 feet, depending on the size of the tiles are using.
Some leading manufacturers of suspended ceiling systems are Armstrong, CertainTeed, and USG. With the help of official website of Armstrong ceiling, the measuring method is mentioned bellow;
- Firstly, determine the panel direction. Main beams must be oriented perpendicular to the joist.
- Determine the border panel sizes and divide both dimensions, length and width by 2. Then determine width of border panels with the help of measuring scales.
- Mark desired height for ceiling, at least three inches below the old ceiling. Mark line level around three walls and quick joining chalk line on remaining wall. Attach the molding securely joints must be tight.
Attach hangers, wires and strings to install beam at every four feet. Wrap the wire around securely. After the installation of border cross tees, join the sections of main beams. Attach hangers and check level as the installation proceeds.